Shoot Listen

Revealing the finest fusions of electronic music and PC shooter games for an Extreme Electronic Experience.

27 January 2008

Memorable experience 2: Deus Ex

There is no way I could post a series of memorable experience features and not include one for my favourite game of all time. Not only that, but Deus Ex probably has the most memorable soundtrack for a game I’ve heard, with tracks such as UNATCO (embedded below) bordering on beautiful and conjuring up thoughts of joyously playing the game almost eight years ago. It is for this reason that I feel obliged to bend the rules of the Extreme Electronic Experience and advise you to turn off your play list for at least some parts of the game, which is exactly what I did.

When reminiscing about Deus Ex, it is more often than not the UNATCO headquarters which first springs to mind. This is a part of the game that had no combat (at least during your first few visits) but was utterly engrossing and downright fun to explore.

The opening level Liberty Island was easy, but stands out as a highlight because it plays like a sandbox, with the open spaces and unsuspecting enemies allowing me to realise the awesome scope of the games combat and interactivity in the coolest of settings. The other two parts of the game I remember equally as fondly are Hell’s Kitchen and Hong Kong. Like UNATCO, these are the areas with the most interactivity and depth. For me, exploring the games nightclubs, hospitals and hotels had a much greater fun factor than the military bases of the later levels.


No comments: